Saint-Florent is a commune in the Haute-Corse department of France on the island of Corsica (‘La Corse’). Originally a fishing port located in the gulf of the same name, nowadays pleasure boats have largely taken the place of fishing vessels.
Saint-Florent was created by the Genoese in the 16th century as a base to carry out repressive operations against the Corsican patriots in the surrounding villages. France later used it to disembark hordes of mercenaries and colonists during August 1764 in order to subject the independent Corsican people. After the defeat at Ponte Novu Bridge, the army of Pasquale Paoli (‘The Father of Corsica’), helped by the fleet of Horatio Nelson, reconquered Saint-Florent in in 1794 during the brief Anglo-Corsican rule.
Certified organic: Domaine Orenga de Gaffory.