FREY VINEYARDS is a Demeter-certified estate winery located in the Redwood Valley AVA in Mendocino County which is within the wider North Coast AVA of California. Frey started producing organic wines in 1980 and in 1996 became the first US winery to gain Biodynamic certification from Demeter. It is now run by the third generation under Jonathan Frey and his wife Katrina.

OWNER / The Frey family. Contact Katrina Frey.

BIODIVERSITY / Under Demeter’s certification rules for Biodynamic certification, 10% of the estate must be set aside for biodiversity. At Frey only 10% of the land is vineyard, the remaining 90% is a mix of forest (oaks and madrone), meadows and upland chaparral. Wildlife on the estate includes bears, mountain lions, bobcats, and  rabbits.

BIODYNAMIC CERTIFICATION / 1996 First vintage with full Demeter Biodynamic certification.

VINEYARDS / 71 hectares (175 acres).

RED WINES

SYRAH

TEMPRANILLO

ZINFANDEL 

CONTACT

Frey Vineyards, 14000 Tomki Road, Redwood Valley, CA 95470, United States of America / Tel+001 707 485 7177 / www.freywine.com

BIBLIOGRAPHY

International Biodynamic Wine Conference, San Francisco 6-7th May 2018.