Owner | Martino Manetti.
Background | Montevertine lies within the heart of the Chianti hills, in the community of Radda at an altitude of 425 m above sea level. Documents show that the site has been dwelled since the 11th century. Traces of the original construction, which undoubtedly was of defensive nature and which later on had been converted to a rural housing, are still preserved.
In 1967, Sergio Manetti, at that time a manufacturer of steel products, bought Montevertine as a holiday house. He restored the house and returned it to its original dwelling destination, and right from the beginning, he planted two hectares of wine and he set up a small cellar. The idea was to produce some wine for friends and customers.
The first vintage produced, 1971, was more than decent and Sergio Manetti decided to present some bottles at Italy’s leading wine show, Vinitaly in Verona, via the Chamber of Commerce of Siena. That was an immediate success and Mr. Manetti was so enthusiastic about it that only a few years later he decided to give up his main former activity, in order to dedicate all his efforts exclusively to winemaking. New vineyards were planted, new cellars installed, and that activity has been continued without any interruption. The expansion of our enterprise has been going on until this very moment.
After Sergio Manetti had passed away in November 2000, the management of the vineyard is now in the hands of his son Martino Manetti, who is assisted by Bruno Bini, born in Montevertine and an in-depth expert of the zone and the soil. Giulio Gambelli has been our consultant since the first years of the winery. All Montevertine wines were born thanks to his precious help and experience. After his recent passing, his work is now brought on by the enologist Paolo Salvi, following our winemaking tradition.
Vineyards | Approximately 18 hectares of vines. About 90% Sangiovese. The remaining 10% includes Colorino and Canaiolo grapes. 5,000 vines per hectare on cordon in the vineyards planted since 1997, and to 3,200 vines per hectare for older vineyards (guyot). Sangiovese, Canaiolo and Colorino. Never planted international grape varieties. | Le Pergole Torte Planted in 1968, surface 2 hectares. North-north-east facing. | Montevertine Planted between 1982 and partially replanted in 2008, surface 2.5 hectares. South-south-east facing. | Il Sodaccio Planted in 1972 and completely replanted in 2000, surface 1.5 hectares. South-east facing. | Il Casino Planted in 1999, surface 2 hectares. South facing. | Selvole Planted in 1997, surface 3.5 hectares, exposed South-east and south facing. | Pian del Ciampolo Planted in 2003, surface 1.5 hectares. West-north-west facing. | La Casa One part planted in 2000 and another part in 2008. 1ha. South-facing. | Borro ai Colli Planted in 2000, surface 2 hectares. South-west facing. | Villanova Replanted in 2010, surface 1.3 hectares. South-facing.
Bianco di Montevertine
Le Pergole Torte | Doug Wregg describes this as ‘a profound soliloquy for Sangiovese. Named after the vineyard from which it comes (see above), Le Pergole Torte has one of the coolest microclimates in the region, giving the wine a shivering energy, a precision to balance the wine’s obvious power. Le Pergole Torte is only made in top vintages; it is always 100% Sangiovese. If there is truly tremendous clarity to the wine, an articulation of nuance – dark berry fruit, dried cherry notes, smoke, gravel – make no mistake, Le Pergole Torte is meant to age,’ (Les Caves de Pyrène list, July 2011).
Extra Virgin Olive oil | Made from Correggiolo, Moraiolo and Leccino olives milled using the traditional cold-pressing method.