FANO, township in Pesaro province in the Marche region of Italy. The town lies on the Adriatic coast at the mouth of the Metauro river (see Bianchello di Metauro DOC). Fano has Roman origins, and was where the Via Flaminia reached the Adriatic. The Romans built the Arch of Augustus, and created the grid plan for the town’s historic centre. The town was ruled from the late 13th-century to 1463 by the Malatesta family. The symbol of their domination is the main square, with the Romanesque Gothic Palazzo della Ragione and the Renaissance Case Malatestiane.
Burton Anderson, The Wine Atlas of Italy, Mitchell Beazley, 1990 p171-179.
Italian Wine Guide (Touring Club of Italy, 1999).