Cadillac is the fortified town (‘bastide’) on the right (east) bank of the Bordeaux region which gives its name to the Cadillac AOC sweet white wine designation. The town, which has its own port on the Garonne river, was founded in 1280 by Jean de Grailly, representing the King of England. In the early seventeenth century, the Duke of Épernon, a favourite of Henry III, chose Cadillac as his place of residence and burial, and built a castle, the Château des Ducs d’Épernon which remains today (and is unofficially known as the Fontainebleau of the Gironde). Cadillac’s red wines can be bottled under the Côtes de Bordeaux AOC.
Post code: F-33210.