ABBADIA SAN SALVATORE is a township (‘comune’) in the Orcia DOC in Tuscany, Italy. It lieson the eastern side of Mount Amiata (‘Monte Amiata’) in the south of the province of Siena in Tuscany. The town or ‘borgo’ is named after its medieval Benedictine abbey of San Salvatore, which was one of many stops on the Via Francigena or pilgrim route to Rome to the south. The Abbey was founded in 743 by the Lombard (‘longbeard’) king, Ratchis, and rebuilt in 1035.