ALBERSWEIL is a township in the Königsgarten grosslage in the Südliche Weinstrasse (“Southern Wine Road”) district in Germany’s Pfalz region. Administratively Albersweil is part of the Verbandsgemeinde (collective municipality) Annweiler am Trifels (Verbandsgemeinde). In wine terms Albersweil is located
BURG TREIFELS The Trifels castle or Burg Trifels (German: Reichsburg Trifels) is a medieval castle at an elevation of 500 m (1,600 ft) near Annweiler. It is located high above the Queich valley within the Palatinate Forest on one peak of a red sandstone mountain split into three. Trifels Castle is on the peak of the Sonnenberg, and on both of the other two rock elevations there are castle ruins: Anebos Castle and Scharfenberg Castle (demotically called Münz).
HISTORY The village was first mentioned in 1065. Samuel, abbot of the Weissenburg Monastery in Alsace endowed the altars of the Redeemer and the Mother of God; one was in Adelbresddeswilare or Albratheswilre. In 985, Duke Otto I took possession of Albersweiler and 67 other locations from the Weissenburgers, as a part of the “Salian Church Robbery.” By 1219, the hamlet was controlled by Annweiler. By 1274, the town of Landau had taken control, and was using Albersweiler as a quarry.
By the fifteenth century, Albersweiler had been divided between two different lords, and the main street of the village formed a state border: the southern section became a part of the Duchy of Pfalz-Zweibrücken, and the northern part belonged to Geschlecht von Scharfenberg.
During the Reformation, the boundary also became denominational: the northern part of Albersweiler was Roman Catholic, and the southern part Protestant. During the Thirty Years War, Catholic troops burned down the Protestant south in 1622. Twelve years later, Protestant Swedes destroyed the northern part of the town, controlled by a Catholic branch of the Löwenstein-Scharfeneck family. After the Peace of Westphalia (a series of peace treaties signed between May and October 1648 in Osnabrück and Münster. These treaties ended the Thirty Years’ War (1618–1648) in the Holy Roman Empire, and the Eighty Years’ War (1568–1648) between Spain and the Dutch Republic, with Spain formally recognizing the independence of the Dutch Republic) the town was plagued by the plague. The village began to grow again after the War of Spanish Succession. In 1736, the foundation was laid for the Lutheran Church Building.
After the French Revolution in 1794, the French occupied Albersweiler, placing it in the Zweibrücken Arrondissement in the department of Donnersbergkreis (Mount Thunder). After the Congress of Vienna, the Palatinate was transferred from France to Bavaria; Albersweiler belonged to the Canton Annweiler in Bezirksamt Bergzabern until the end of 1946.
During the 19th century, Albersweiler was a farming village, with most residents involved in wine production. In 1832, the people of the hamlet built a Catholic school and began to build a Protestant school. The Catholic parish of St. Stephen was built starting in 1843. The Lutheran church was built in 1846. Both buildings were designed by the famous Bavarian architect August von Voit. The Jewish community built a synagogue in 1865, which was destroyed in 1938.
Toward the end of the 19th century, the granite quarry on the western edge of Albersweier grew as an industrial location, with a porcelain factory, a glove factory, a shoe factory, a “sulfur kitchen” (schwefelküche) and a match factory. In 1925, the installation of the local power grid was completed.
During the Second World War, the stationing of weapons in a tunnel resulted in repeated bombings by allied aircraft. In the postwar years, the damage was repaired. In 1954-1955, the community built a canal, and new areas were opened for residential building. In 1984, a new bypass was opened to relieve the city of the burden of heavy through-traffic. In 1972, Albersweiler became a part of the local municipality of Annweiler on Trifels. Since 1969, it has belonged to the Landkreis (district) of Landau-Bad Bergzabern, which was renamed in 1978 to Südliche Weinstrasse.
ALBERSWEILER LATT (ST JOHAN) See Rebholz (Gewurztraminer).
CERTIFIED BIODYNAMIC /
CERTIFIED ORGANIC, BIODYNAMIC PRACTICES /
CERTIFIED ORGANIC /
NO CERTIFICATION /